Discharge Record

The Clay County Veterans Service Office believes that a military discharge record is 1 of the most important documents a veteran will receive. The discharge record that pertains to active military service is referred to as DD214. The discharge record pertaining to any National Guard or Reserve service is referred to as NGB22. If you have an original or certified discharge document, we strongly recommend it be recorded.

Certifying Your Discharge Record

If you currently have the original or certified discharge record, it is recommended that you furnish it to your local County Recorder Office and/or the County Veterans Service Office for recording. Your original document will be returned to you along with 2 certified copies. Once this has been completed you will be able to obtain additional certified copies to prove your veteran status. Currently, the recording of the original discharge and receiving certified copies are free of charge.

Keeping Your Record Safe

We recommend you safeguard the original by storing it in a safety deposit box, fire proof box, etc. Be sure to let someone know (a spouse, children, or attorney) where the original or a certified copy of the original can be obtained in time of need, should you be incapacitated.

Replacement Discharge Records

To obtain state or federal benefits, to acquire financial aid, and for certain employment purposes you may be requested to furnish a copy of your discharge record. Be sure to locate a copy of your discharge before you are required to furnish a copy. If you cannot locate a copy of your discharge there are a few options to explore:

  • Check with the County Recorder Office or County Veterans Service Office in the county in which you were living when you were discharged to see if it was recorded there.
  • If you previously visited with a County Veterans Service Officer, contact their office to see if they have a copy.
  • If you are unable to locate a copy of your discharge, please contact the County Veterans Service Office at 218-299-5041 for assistance with retrieving your document. This process can take some time, so please be sure to begin the search as soon as possible.