Reimbursement of Burial Expenses

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs may assist in payment of the burial expenses of an eligible veteran. For more information or assistance with an application, contact your county Veterans Service Office, or the USDVA.

Headstone or Grave Marker

Veterans are eligible for a government grave marker, to be used to mark the grave of a veteran. This benefit is available for all veterans whose discharge was under conditions other than dishonorable. Markers, which have been furnished at government expense, and become damaged, may be replaced by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in certain circumstances.

Burial Flag

An American Flag will be provided to drape the casket of a wartime veteran or a veteran who served at least 1 complete term of enlistment during peacetime. After interment, the flag will be presented to the next of kin, close friend, or associate of the veteran. Contact the funeral director handling the veteran's funeral, or the nearest county Veterans Service Office.

National Cemetery Burial

Veterans are entitled to be buried in a national cemetery. Spouses of veterans and certain minor children are also eligible for this benefit.