Selling & Moving Mobile Homes

Moving Your Mobile Home

Delinquent Taxes

If you are planning to move your mobile home, whether it is by a professional mover or by yourself, you must have a statement signed by the Clay County Treasurer stating there are no current year or delinquent taxes owed on the mobile home. There is no charge for this document.

Moving Permits

Depending on which roads your mobile home will be moved, you may need permits from the Clay County Highway Department. Please call 218-299-5099 for more information.


If a mobile home is moved without the proper documents, Minnesota law allows for a fine to be imposed.

Selling Your Mobile Home

When selling your mobile home, you must transfer title to the new owner at a Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles Office. The Certificate of Title must be accompanied by a statement from the Treasurer of the county in which the mobile home was located, stating that all the personal property mobile home taxes have been paid on the unit.


If you do not transfer the title and contact the Clay County Assessor's Office regarding the change of ownership, the county will assume you are still the owner. Tax statements will continue to be issued in your name. Any delinquent taxes will be submitted for collection under your name to the Minnesota Department of Revenue Recapture Unit. The amount owed will be deducted from any State of Minnesota refunds you may have coming.