Mobile Home Title Transfer

When selling your mobile home, you must transfer the title to the new owner at a Minnesota Department of Motor Vehicles Office. A manufactured home / mobile home title is transferred the same as a motor vehicle except that no excise tax is collected. Title fees and secured party fees are the same as for other transfers.

The Certificate of Title must be accompanied by a statement from the Treasurer of the county in which the mobile home was located, stating that all the personal property mobile home taxes have been paid on the unit.

Consequence of Not Transferring the Title

If you do not transfer the title and contact the Clay County Assessor's Office regarding the change of ownership, the county will assume you are still the owner. Tax statements will continue to be issued in your name. Any delinquent taxes will be submitted for collection under your name to the Minnesota Department of Revenue Recapture Unit. The amount owing will be deducted from any State of Minnesota refunds you may have coming.

Minnesota Statutes

Minnesota Statutes, sections 168A.1411 and 168A.1412 describes the process to surrender a manufactured home title or manufacturer's certificate of origin when the manufactured home is permanently affixed or is to be affixed to real property that is owned by the homeowner, whereby the manufactured home now becomes an improvement to the real property and is no longer titled as personal property.  The title for a manufactured home that is not permanently affixed to foundation, or that is placed on land that is not owned by the homeowner cannot be surrendered. The Application for Notice of Cancellation of Manufactured Home Certificate of Title (PDF) must be completed and submitted to DPS-DVS.  After the application has been completed and approved by DPS-DVS, you will receive Notice of Cancellation from DPS-DVS. The Notice of Cancellation must be attached as an exhibit to a Manufactured Home Affidavit of Affixation. The Manufactured Home Affidavit of Affixation must be signed before a notary and recorded with the County Recorder or Registrar of Titles.