Anyone who is of legal age to posses a driver's license may go to a Driver's License Agent to apply for one. You must fill out an application, have a vision test and have a photograph taken.
- If you are a first time driver, you will be required to take a computerized test and a behind-the-wheel test.
- If you are currently from out-of-state and possess a valid driver's license, you will be required to take only the computerized test and fulfill ID and Residency Requirements.
- Testing hours are Wednesday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
- Save time by pre-applying for a Driver's License or ID prior to completing the process at the Department of Motor Vehicle.
- If you are doing a name change or have had a name change in the past, you must change your Social Security Card first and wait at least 24 hours before going to the Department of Motor Vehicles Office to change your credential. (Credential means the current card you have - Driver's License, ID, Instruction Permit, etc.)
Young Driver Information
The graduated driver's license law (GDL) complements the driver's license program by introducing a provisional license stage for young drivers. For information on the GDL, check out the Minnesota Department of Public Safety's Driver and Vehicle Services, Teen Drivers website.